Have you been taking part in Veganuary this year? It’s a great chance to try out some new vegan recipes and start the year off right.
Our chef’s vegan banana bread is a wonderful snack for afternoon tea. Using gluten-free flour and plenty of fruits and nuts makes this banana bread recipe the perfect treat for everyone. It is really easy to make and great for using up over-ripe bananas!
Makes 1 loaf
Cooking time: 60 minutes
4 bananas, overripe
6 tbsp of sunflower oil
3 tbsp of maple syrup
1 tsp of vanilla extract
2 tsp mixed spice
4 tbsp of ground almonds
5 tbsp of rice flour or GF flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 pinch of salt
50g dried cranberries
10 dried apricots, chopped
100g of pistachio nuts
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Spray the loaf tin with some vegetable oil.
2. Mash the bananas with a fork in a bowl. Stir in the oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract, then add the mixed spice, ground almonds, flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Once all combined, stir through chopped apricots, cranberries and pistachios. Pour the batter into the oiled tin and bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
4. Leave the bread in the tin on a wire rack to cool slightly, before turning out. Optional you can drizzle the banana loaf with some vegan toffee sauce.
5. Serve in thick slices on its own, or toasted with jam and enjoy 🙂