at the gibson hotel we are committed to reducing our carbon footprint and are always looking for ways to increase our sustainability efforts. our green team meet once a month dedicating themselves to the further improvement of green initiatives throughout the hotel. whether it be through energy conservation or recycling & waste management we are proud to do our part to preserve the environment.
awards & acknowledgments
the gibson hotel is the very first hotel in Ireland to receive the BREEAM In-Use certificate, this is used to assess nine environmental categories: energy, water, transport, management, waste, pollution, health & well-being, land use & ecology and materials. We are very proud of this achievement.
the gibson hotel received the silver award from green hospitality in 2020, we received a gold award from green tourism accreditation for 2021 and our aim is to not only maintain this but strive to ensure we deserve the gold award.
we have also gained our certificate of compliance with REPAK.
Below are some of the steps we have taken to be more environmentally aware in the gibson hotel so far:
- introduced metering optimisation, this provides an opportunity for the hotel to use the waste heat from electricity generation
- replaced all of our fluorescent bulbs to leds. we also have pir sensors throughout the building in the majority of areas
- upgraded our business management system which gives us much broader control of our hotel, alarms, leak detection and time clocks
- we are also in the process of installing online metering to give real time data as to what our hotel is achieving and where we can adjust
- our rainwater harvesting system supplies the toilets and reduces overall water usage
- leak detection systems and metering are used throughout to ensure wastage is minimised
- appliances such as dishwashers and washing machines are low flow models to make further water savings
- all guest bathrooms are fitted with sensors and low flush technology
the hotel has a proactive approach to recycling – all glass, cardboard, plastic bottles, aluminium cans, paper & food waste are all sorted and collected for recycling.
- there is a guest recycling centre on the 6th floor for guests to use
- glass crushers are used for all bottle waste, reducing glass volume waste up to 80%
- paper/recycled coasters and beer mats are used throughout the hotel as well as paper straws
- reduced single use plastics in all guest bedrooms. we are also in the process of creating water filling stations on the bedroom corridors to replace plastic water bottles in the rooms
- there are added bathroom amenities such as plant based laundry bags and bamboo toothbrushes
- our guestrooms are fitted with wall mounted refillable vegan friendly options rather than single use shampoos/conditioners and soap
- the luas stop is directly outside the hotel entrance to take staff and takes guests directly to key visitor attractions in dublin. this also links with other transport hubs
- cyclist facilities are provided outside the building and cycle parking is located in the point village car park accessed directly from the hotel. the dublin bikes scheme and other local amenities are within walking distance of the hotel
- there are ten electric car charging points in the complex carpark
- there are planted wild flowers as part of the pollinator plan in the hemi/coda courtyard area for our bees and butterfly’s to enjoy
- the hotel entrance has a 3 storey atrium with a living wall
- there are green spaces throughout the building such as courtyards and terraces as well as a green roof space
all of these features improve our ecological footprint and reduce the rainwater runoff from the building lowering the risk of flooding to the surrounding areas
we are always looking for more ways to increase our sustainability efforts and have a lot more plans in place for 2022 and beyond
have any suggestions on more ways we can reduce our carbon footprint? we’d love to hear them!